Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Oatmeal Raisin Chocolate Chip Cookies



For my husband's Birthday, I asked him what type of baked good he wanted for his special day. He requested oatmeal raisin cookies (actually at first he requested an apple pie and I told him no...on account of not having a rolling pin...and cause, you know, it's a pain in the ass =)). Me being the overachiever that I am, couldn't just stop at oatmeal raisin and decided to add some chocolate chips to the mix. I found a great recipe in my High Altitude Baking book. I modified it slightly due to preference and the fact that I didn't have dry milk (whatever that is) and it was snowing and I didn't feel like venturing out of the house to find it.

Oatmeal Raisin Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 1/3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2/3 cup shortening
1/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup milk
2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375.

In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.

In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugars. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Add flour mixture slowly, mixing thoroughly with each addition. Add milk and mix completely. Stir in oats, raisins and chocolate chips.

Roll into 1-inch size balls and place 1 1/2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet for 1-2 minutes and then place onto wax paper or wire rack until complete cooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment